With the outbreak of COVID-19 in the United States, medical marijuana patients have been flocking to dispensaries around the country trying to stock up before the inevitable lockdown of businesses. Though many dispensaries remain open during the Florida COVID-19 outbreak, most are taking precautionary measures to help keep their customers safe and stop the virus from spreading.
Local dispensaries, such as Fluent, have released statements on the measures they are taking while they remain open to customers during the Coronavirus outbreak. Many are prioritizing express pick-up, curbside, or online orders to prevent customers from having to spend too much time in store. Most stores are also limiting the number of customers they allow inside the store at the same time.
On March 16, 2020, the Florida Department of Health enacted Emergency Order 20-002 to temporarily allow already qualified physicians to use telemedicine to re-certify medical marijuana patients that already have an existing certification issued by the physician. This temporary order will remain active until April 15, 2020. This emergency order, while temporary, provides some protection for current medical marijuana patients and may lead to further emergency legislation as the virus outbreak changes.
Staying Safe During The Florida COVID-19 Outbreak
For medical marijuana patients, staying safe during the virus outbreak looks about the same as it does for anyone else. However, there are a few extra steps patients should keep in mind, especially while visiting a clinic or dispensary.
When shopping during the Florida COVID-19 outbreak:
- Call your local dispensary or clinic and ask about what safety measures they are taking.
- Use curbside pick-up or pre-order if available at your dispensary.
- Limit time spent in clinics or dispensaries. Go early in the day to limit contact with others.
- Keep six to nine feet away from others. Avoid handshakes, hugs, etc.
- Consider using personal protective gear, such as gloves and masks, while in-store and discard or decontaminate equipment after each use.
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds after leaving the store.
- Avoid touching your face, especially while outside of your home.
If you are using medical marijuana during the outbreak, make sure to practice good hygiene and refrain from sharing cannabis consumption devices, such as vapes, joints, or pipes. Make sure to clean devices regularly, as they may carry and spread the virus.
Florida COVID-19 Outbreak Resources
Below is a list of resources that can help you learn more about the outbreak and how to stay safe and healthy.
If you have any questions or concerns as a medical marijuana patient or business, contact the Marijuana Law Division at The Aguilera Law Center.
Call (305) 255-FIRM
This page will be updated as more information becomes available during the COVID-19 outbreak.